I'm so upset. There's what I would call somewhat of a social phenomena going on these days when it comes to celebrity fashion photographer Terry Richardson and his growing fame. Although most people say things along the lines of "isn't he a rapist?" or "that's the photographer you have to blow, right?" at the mention of his name, we usually just answer "Yup, that's him!" and the conversation ends there. It's truly bizarre that we all turn the blind eye, and it's a perfect example of how your surroundings can change how people view your behavior. Any other serial rapist that has been exposed by several victims as publicly as Terry Richardson has been convicted and sent to jail, with few exceptions. Richardson however, seems to be getting richer and more famous with every shoot (therefore sexual assault) that he does.
Let me put it to you this way; if you Google "Terry Richardson rape", there's over 271,000 results. An article on Gawker's Jezebel subsite written by Jenna Sauers in March of 2010 is especially "enlightening" on the subject. It's full of testimonials from models and assistant photographers describing Richardson involved in textbook sexual assault in front of dozens of people, who all let it happen. Reputable news sources like the NY Observer and The Gloss have also all exposed Richardson's perversion as well, but the coward doesn't ever comment and we all forget quickly when we see his latest shoot in Vogue, or his music videos for stars like Miley Cyrus.
It makes you wonder if Richardson rapes celebrities too, or maybe he only thinks us "normals" are worth abusing. Were Miley, Lady GaGa and Rihanna spared, or did they endure the same fate as most other young girls that enter his studio?
From asking models for their used tampons to make "tampon tea" to forcing prepubescent ones to perform sexual acts on eachother (the cherry on top; they allegedly both couldn't speak english), Richardson is a heartless monster that we continue to praise. Because everyone seems to think sexual assault in the fashion world is just as normal and acceptable as anorexia and drug abuse, this photographer will continue to make bank while destroying the lives of young women forever. Sleep on that!
Richardson was recently chosen to shoot Madonna's spread for the November 2013 issue of Harper's Bazaar, in which she tells the horrifying story of being raped at knifepoint on the roof of a building when she first arrived in New York. It's things like this that make me wonder how he lives with himself. Madonna poses for Richardson with a samurai sword, a display of her strength and courage after such a scarring ordeal. Meanwhile, Richardson is just as guilty as Madonna's rapist. How much was he paid for this anyway? Why doesn't Madge know?! WHO'S IN CHARGE HERE?
I could go on and on about how crazy it is that women we're supposed to be able to admire (Beyoncé, Mila Kunis, Lady GaGa, and Gwen Stefani, amongst others) continue to support his work and pose for him. There are not enough women out there like Coco Rocha, Jamie Peck, and Rie Rasmussen who have spoken out about their experiences with Richardson and vow to never work with him again. Here's a random photo of him exposing himself to a model. Charming.
Without further ado, here are 5 reasons why Terry Richardson should not only be shunned from the fashion world, but also barred in Guantanamo:
1. He's a rapist. Now we know this, we've all known this, so what are we going to do about it?
2. He's admitted to being a rapist. Not only has he been quoted "It's not who you know, it's who you blow. I don't have a hole in my jeans for nothing." (source), Richardson seems to believe his forceful inapropriate behavior is justified. In an interview with the NY Observer in 2004, Richardson describes how he gets models naked; “A lot of it starts with me saying to a girl, ‘Do you want to do nudes?’ And they’re like, ‘I don’t want to be naked,’” said Mr. Richardson. “So I say, ‘ I’ll be naked and you take the pictures. You can have the camera. You can have the phallus.’” Not only that, but the guy is slimy enough to add, "and since I’m in so many of the pictures, aren’t I objectifying myself a bit?” SMDH.
3. He's racist. Ok, so racist may be a little harsh, but the guy rarely shot anyone but white girls before his gigs with artists like Rihanna and Tyler The Creator. With all the beauties of every shape and color in this world and the pick of the litter, how the hell has he mostly shot skinny vanilla girls?!
4. His ideas are unoriginal. Give me a white wall, a great camera, Jared Leto or a white girl, and I have created an original Richardson. Maybe I'll ask the girl to wear red makeup and lick ice cream, or I'll just have Leto give me a thumbs up or something.
5. The whole thumbs up thing! It not only makes me want to punch him in the face even harder, but it's lame and he looks especially coked out when he does it. He's like that weird old guy at the park who's trying to get in with the kids...or more like get it in with the kids. See what I mean?
Does President Barack Obama know about Richardson's track record? I guess my questions really is...was Obama raped in the bum? I find it hard to believe that with the amount of intel Obama's people have they weren't aware that the photographer is considered the most successful rapist in the fashion industry. He better not let Richardson near Natasha and Malia! Actually no it's all good, he only rapes white girls.
Even celebrities are hyper sexualized in his shoots.
Ladies and gentlemen, if you have any respect for women out there join me in my boycott of all things Terry Richardson until justice is served! The more we fail to call him out on his wrongs the more acceptable it becomes to him and everyone around him. Models are not sexual objects and that is not what they sign up for. Rant over.
Please enjoy these creepy photos, I know I didn't.